Challenge Experiment Away!

Microbial Ecology of Sea Star Wasting Disease

Over the weekend, our infected sea stars survived, as did all our Alaskan stars. So far so good! Today we made the decision to proceed with the challenge trials – this is where we take viruses out of the Seattle Aquarium stars and then inject them into the Alaskan animals to see how they respond. Finally, some actual experiments!

The first step was to adjust the experimental tanks to the same salinity and nutrient concentrations, before transferring our Alaskan Evasterias. Vital data on animal size and weight were taken, along with samples to determine their ambient micro biome, coelomocyte concentration, and samples for molecular work (transcriptomics, SSaDV prevalence, bacterial abundance, virioplankton abundance, etc). We’ve learned from experience that the coelomocytes (kind of like blood cells) behave somewhat differently from surface tissues, so we collected some tube feet as well. We’ve also noted in previous work that the virus appears in…

View original post 245 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s